At the AUSA 2014 Annual Meeting & Exposition in Washington 13-15 October, D3O is unveiling its TRUST (Trauma Reduction and Unrivalled Shock Technology) high performance internal knee pad system…
D3O is committed to bringing the expertise in using smart impact protection materials to create personal protection equipment which will help to reduce the thousands of lower limb injuries affecting soldiers each year.
At the AUSA 2014 Annual Meeting & Exposition in Washington 13-15 October, D3O is unveiling its TRUST (Trauma Reduction and Unrivalled Shock Technology) high performance internal knee pad system, which brings to the global defense sector industry-leading impact protection technology honed in the US team sports and oil and gas markets.
Dismounted infantry soldiers who have to operate on all grounds from garrison workshops to uneven battlefields, jumping off moving land systems vehicles or helicopters and often landing on their knees, suffer from the highest incidence of lower limb musculoskeletal injuries. Existing commercially available internal knee pads offer the wearer good flexibility in motion, but in real-life situations, soldiers can be kneeling on abrasive or flinty surfaces which can rip or damage their combat trousers and degrade the protector. External knee pads provide better and more durable protection but, when the pads are not in use, can simply be worn around the legs or ankles hindering movement and can be displaced in action.
The knee pad system features D3O’s unique patented technology which is based on non-Newtonian principles: the patent covers the use of a dilatant fluid which is integrated into the materials. In standard conditions, the molecules flow freely allowing the material to remain soft and flexible, but on impact, they lock together to absorb impact energy and reduce the force transmitted. The molecules instantly return to their flexible state. The raw material (dilatant fluid) is strain rate sensitive which means the stronger the impact, the more the molecules react, and the better the protection.
The system comprises a high performance inner knee pad which uses D3O impact protection material which protects the soldier from repeated impacts and is comfortable and flexible to wear, plus an outer clip-on shell which is secured and detached using clips through tailored holes in the fabric, retaining the key benefits of traditional external knee pads such as abrasion and puncture resistance. The combination of the soft and flexible internal knee pad teamed with a detachable shell is the optimum solution bringing comfort and superior protection in a format that can be easily integrated into soldiers’ active combat pants, as part of their uniforms. It provides a comfortable, flexible and efficient protection solution for use in theatre.
Key benefits of the D3O knee pad system:
• Comfort and fit – pre-curved, ergonomically designed soft, lightweight foam known as LITE by D3O delivers enhanced cushioning and long-term comfort for soldiers
• High performance impact protection – an insert made from a high performance shock absorbing foam called D3O XT provides focal protection over the knee cap. The primary performance capability of the knee pad comes from this insert which draws on D3O’s traditional core skill of developing industry-leading impact protection materials
• Versatility of solution – the pad can be fully removed, delivering easy conversion from tactical battlefield to garrison workwear use with no change in active combat pants and no gaping holes
• Compatible with a wide range of different active combat pants
• Detachable outer hard shell – offers abrasion and puncture prevention, protecting both the wearer and the combat pant material for a more durable solution, while anti-rock ridges stabilize the knee on impact
• Customisable by each soldier – holes on the combat pant pocket enable the shell to be moved up and down, to suit the height of an individual soldier, while the knee pad remains in the internal pocket
Key benefits for Government procurement agencies
• Fully integrated, patented system – which is readily available to be licensed by approved distributors, or integrated into existing apparel and personal protective equipment produced by Government prime contractors, for purchase by Government procurement agencies
• Standard and customisable solutions – off the shelf comfort and high performance impact protection pads are available at all times for customers, but as a solutions provider, D3O can create different shaped pads, fastenings and button hole design for customers
• Versatility – compatible with a wide range of different types, shapes and brands of active combat pants
• Delivering cost of ownership
• Modernisation of soldier kit for greater efficiency and performance
By integrating the TRUST high performance internal knee pad into active combat pants, the protective padding system will revolutionise how D3O delivers protection for military personnel. D3O co-developed this novel integration of the TRUST high performance internal knee pad into active combat pants: the protective padding system will revolutionise how D3O delivers protection for military personnel.
D3O technology was presented to the defense industry by UKTI at the recent NATO Summit; the UK’s Ministry of Defence and US Department of Defense have both expressed strong interest in the patented system, with wearer trials currently underway.
Mostyn Thomas, D3O’s General Manager said:
“Featuring our unique patented integration technology, the D3O TRUST high performance internal knee pad system is a versatile solution designed to protect soldiers both in the physically demanding combat environment and back at base where prolonging durability of uniforms is a key goal for defense procurement teams.”
“In both US team sports and the oil and gas industry where the likelihood and severity of impact is high, the use of D3O is now setting the benchmark in high performance impact protection. D3O is committed to bringing the expertise in using smart impact protection materials to create personal protection equipment which will help to reduce the thousands of lower limb injuries affecting soldiers each year.”
At AUSA, D3O’s Stand number is 1613. To arrange an appointment to speak to a Business Development Manager at AUSA, contact: email@example.com